Wanted: top-notch talent
We’re always looking to add new members to the Tendo team, and we leverage a wide circle of freelancers and contractors to deliver brilliant work. Whether you’re an ex-reporter, account manager, freelance copywriter, crack copyeditor, interactive designer, or social media maven, we’d love to hear from you. Especially if you have creative ideas, can think strategically, and have a willingness to get your hands dirty. Oh, and a sense of humor never hurts.
Bottom line: We love meeting people with big ideas, unique skills, and subject-area expertise.
The associate editor is responsible for supporting content and social media projects for multiple client teams, applying best practices, and delivering a consistent client experience to all assigned projects. Duties include project management; schedule development and maintenance; writing, editing, and copyediting content for digital, print, and social platforms; and contributing ideas for leveraging social media channels.
Content Development and Support
- Support content creation and development, including generating assignment letters, editing manuscripts, incorporating stakeholder comments, directing and executing on rewrites
- Write, edit, and copyedit content, including blog posts, web content, and social media material
- Contribute to social media engagements with suggested content for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.; track metrics for these platforms as needed
- Support development of infographics and other rich-media content (e.g., video, audio, SlideShare presentations, animated graphics)
- Copyedit material and maintain standards of voice, tone, and quality
- Conduct research in support of content development
- Develop project schedules, track project progress, and create internal and external status updates each week
- Contribute to the development of creative solutions as part of client programs
- Work with in-house and client design and production teams to assist with visual concepts, photos, and illustrations as needed
- Manage copy flow from editorial to production and publishing
- Track schedules and project milestones across project teams (including staff and freelancers) to ensure deliverables are on time and on budget
- Customize standard Tendo resource documents for the client project and ensure that resources are executed as needed at each phase of the project
- Communicate clearly in all client interactions, including e-mail, phone, and face-to-face meetings; document/confirm client communication in writing according to Tendo standards
- Anticipate and escalate problems to internal Tendo client lead; proactively suggest solutions
- Maintain timely and appropriate level of client communication
- Proactively communicate with clients; anticipate challenges and suggest solutions
- Research tech market, trends, and topics to understand what’s important to the client (messaging) and the client’s audience (solutions)
- Provide outstanding customer service to all Tendo clients; look for opportunities to add value
- Minimum of three years editorial experience; both print and Web publishing preferred
- Excellent editorial skills, including writing, editing, and copy editing
- Experience with and enthusiasm for tech-specific markets, products, and trends is a plus
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including ability to communicate clearly with clients and colleagues
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications; advanced skills in Word and PowerPoint preferred; additional experience with InDesign is a plus
- Understanding of social media engagement practices; competency with social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc., and an appreciation for how brands are engaging audiences on mobile social channels
- Knowledge of Web and social media metrics; experience with basic analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Independent work style, ability to plan and execute with little direction, and the ability to take initiative is a must
- Ability to meet deadlines, stay organized, and balance multiple projects
- Comfortable collaborating with others on a variety of projects and tasks
- Competence with, or willingness to learn, HTML, CSS, and video editing software
The senior managing editor is responsible for the execution and hands-on management of assigned client content programs and plays a leadership role with both clients and editorial teams. Working closely with Tendo executives and senior leadership, the senior managing editor’s responsibilities include planning and managing content development; writing, editing and producing web, rich media, and social content; recruiting and managing freelance writers; and advising and making recommendations to clients regarding strategies for engaging audiences with new media and new communications technologies. In addition, as many of Tendo’s clients are B2B technology companies, the senior managing editor must have a deep appreciation of and curiosity about enterprise IT technologies and buying audiences.
Content Creation and Editorial Leadership
- Assume lead editorial role on assigned projects by assessing client needs and formulating Tendo engagement solutions in collaboration with Tendo executives and senior leadership.
- Understand client goals and audience and recommend content angles, formats, types, channels, etc. that will result in engagement.
- Develop content plans that include audiences, goals, schedules, content outlines, content maps, social content plans, etc.
- Execute on plan by writing and/or assigning articles, rich media and/or social content; editing according to client style guide; managing client review cycles; incorporating changes; submitting content to client content management systems; reviewing staged content, proofreading, and authorizing content launch.
- Strategize and coordinate content integration, linking, and calls to action to maximize share of conversation.
- Copyedit content and establish and maintain standards of voice, tone, and quality for various communications mediums.
- Develop headlines, decks, pull quotes, direct-mail copy, and other types of content as needed to promote and amplify content in a variety of channels.
- In collaboration with Tendo executives and senior leadership, define project goals, approach, and scope. Manage editorial budgets for assigned projects; understand budget before project kickoff and communicate allowed hours to project team.
- Create and plan innovative client programs that leverage new communications technologies and mediums.
- Package ideas in effective, professional, engaging PowerPoint presentations.
- Manage editorial production processes as needed.
- Act as the lead client contact on projects, defining a meeting cadence and status delivery appropriate to the size of project.
- Work with in-house, freelance, and client design and production teams to assist with art concepts, photos, and illustrations as needed.
- Manage copy flow from editorial to production and publishing.
- Customize all standard Tendo resource documents for the client project; ensure that resources are available as needed in the process schedule.
- Proactively suggest new ways to improve content quality and process efficiency.
- Effectively lead and manage client editorial communication; maintain and ensure clear and focused communication with client, including confirmation of key actions and next steps, expectation setting, and communicating process.
- Provide outstanding customer service to all Tendo clients; look for opportunities to add value.
- Communicate clearly in all client interaction, including e-mail, phone, and face-to-face meetings.
- Document/confirm client communication in writing according to Tendo standards.
- Proactively communicate with clients as required; anticipate challenges and suggest solutions.
- Minimum of 10 years of editorial experience; Web editorial background required.
- Experience/background/understanding of and enthusiasm for tech-specific markets, products, and topics.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including clear client communication, sharp editorial instincts, and copyediting proficiency.
- Terrific client relations skills; the successful candidate will understand how to navigate diplomatically in complex environments, build consensus through influence rather than authority, and deliver great customer service.
- Proven ability to follow and shape stories at various stages of development; keen judgment of unique angles and newsworthiness of editorial.
- Project management skills; ability to meet deadlines and balance multiple project schedules.
- Independent work style, ability to plan and execute with little direction, and the ability to take initiative are a must.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications; advanced skills in Word and PowerPoint required.
- Comfortable collaborating with others, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and enjoy a diversity of tasks and projects.
The digital content strategy director is responsible for leading client engagements, managing a team of marketers, editors, production, and design resources.
Specific responsibilities include leading, growing, and maintaining client relationships, and managing the execution of projects such that the client relationship delivers increased revenue levels over time and that Tendo team members learn, grow, and excel in delivering content marketing services.
As well, as many of Tendo’s clients are B2B technology companies, the content director must have a deep appreciation of and curiosity about enterprise IT technologies and buying audiences.
Content marketing and content strategy execution and leadership
- Understand client business needs, market dynamics, buying cycles and content strategies to articulate how content programs can support desired outcomes.
- Proactively apply creative strategies to client challenges and program execution (use of new content types, alternate approaches for presenting concepts that will drive increased engagement and conversion, etc.).
- Working with Sr. Director, Content and independently, lead content strategy engagements and identify opportunities for broadening engagements when client strategies are limited.
- Ensure the vision and objectives of the client are effectively aligned with the content strategy. Conduct current state analysis; competitive analysis; and market, buyer, and content analysis through first-hand research and from interviews and third-party source.
- Manage and/or conduct comprehensive content audits; provide relevant, actionable analysis based on audit findings.
- Develop and execute all aspects of content strategy on assigned projects. This includes understanding and articulating client needs, and developing audience profiles and personas, compelling messaging, journey mapping, themes, topics, format types, treatments, and integration points.
- Create content strategy deliverables and plans in client-facing documents, usually in the form of a PowerPoint deck.
- Depending on project scope, contribute to content deliverables such as copywriting, editing, interviewing, asset creation (blogs, infographics, videos, podcasts, social content, etc.). Establish and maintain quality standards on all assigned accounts.
- Cultivate knowledge and expertise within one or more domains of content marketing (to be defined by Tendo executive team):
- Maintain ongoing relationships with key clients to understand their business direction, strategies, priorities, goals and pain points.
- Develop new relationships with prospects in assigned accounts; actively foster engagement that will lead to new opportunities.
- Analyze client needs and develop content programs to address them.
Team and project leadership
- Participate in the evolution of Tendo’s content offerings; contribute to the development of new and relevant service and/or content offerings.
- Manage project execution and teams, ensuring team members understand their roles and have the resources they need to succeed, defining a project schedule and clarifying process and deliverables.
- Deliver assigned projects on schedule and on budget.
- Manage client expectations as needed and communicate progress as appropriate in a clear and proactive manner; anticipate challenges and suggest solutions.
A minimum of 7 years of content experience is required, with at least 5 of those years spent in digital content strategy roles. The right person has a passion for developing sound content strategy, determining message hierarchies, and developing user experiences that communicate the right message to the right person at the right time. We’re looking for experience working with large-scale websites, audits, migrations, content models or requirements, taxonomies, and metadata frameworks.
In addition, he/she will have outstanding client-relations and presentation skills, handle stress with grace and tact, have a flair for wordsmithing, and possess an excellent sense of humor.
- Mastery of MS Word and Excel
- Proficiency in MS PPT and/or Keynote
- Proficiency in project management and project scheduling program such as MS Project or TeamGantt, Asana, etc.
- Ability to work independently in Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with and understanding of content management systems such as Adobe AEM, Sitecore, WordPress, etc.
San Francisco, CA