What Is Content Experience?
A content experience is the summation of all the interactions someone has with your digital content and the impression they take away from it. In a successful content experience, related content elements work together to engage users, provide value, and help them reach their goals.
Content experience is an emerging area of focus that looks at all digital content holistically, across every channel and stage of the buyer journey. It is critical to customer experience and inspired by content strategy.
Content is now central to every digital journey. By delivering a consistently great content experience to prospects and customers, B2B marketers can strengthen brand awareness and affinity, increase customer loyalty, accelerate customer acquisition, generate more informed and educated leads, and improve lead conversion.
3 Characteristics of a Great Experience
What does a great content experience look like? The content assets you create should, together, deliver an experience that is connected, engaging, and relevant.
A connected experience:
- Supports and engages users in ways that siloed content cannot.
- Maintains a consistent theme, topic, message, or design across channels.
- Delivers a frictionless and intuitive experience, from one touchpoint to the next.
An engaging experience:
- Attracts users with compelling and meaningful content.
- Holds users’ attention by being helpful, authentic, and trustworthy.
- Motivates users to explore additional content and continue their journey.
A relevant experience:
- Reflects a keen understanding of user needs and behaviors.
- Orchestrates personalized, contextual messages and journeys for users.
- Progressively guides users toward their informational or transactional goal.
Why It Matters for B2B Marketing
In a digital-first reality, siloed and short-term marketing efforts no longer work. B2B brands must think holistically about how individual pieces of content work together to help buyers reach their informational or transactional goals. Recent changes in B2B buyer behavior underscore this reality:
- 55 percent of B2B buyers rely more on content to research and make purchasing decisions than they did a year ago, according to a 2022 Demand Gen Report survey.
- B2B buyers now average 27 buying interactions during the buyer journey, an increase of 63 percent between 2019 and 2021, according to Forrester’s 2021 B2B Buying Study.
- B2B customers now use 10 or more channels (email, video conference, online chat, etc.) to interact with companies—a 2x increase since 2016, according to McKinsey’s B2B Pulse Survey 2021.